Army fires live ammunition as Burma protests continue on another day

Thousands of Burmese continue to demonstrate against the military junta that staged the coup d'état
Police stand guard along a road in Yangon on March 1, 2021, as protesters take part in a demonstration against the military coup.

PHOTO/AFP  -   Police stand guard along a road in Yangon on March 1, 2021, as protesters take part in a demonstration against the military coup.

The Burmese army fired live ammunition at several demonstrators in Bagan, the historic city in central Burma, causing one minor injury, one of the protest organisers told EFE.

Thousands of Burmese came out again to protest against the military junta in other cities such as Mandalay and Rangoon, where security forces fired tear gas, with those in uniform increasingly isolated from the international community.

Clad in plastic helmets and metal shields, protesters try to barricade the streets to prevent the advance of the police and military despite the harsh repression.

Sources from the National League for Democracy, the party of deposed de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi, reported on Facebook that one of their representatives in Rangoon, the country's largest city, died after being arrested the day before.

The sources did not specify the reason for the death

At least 54 protesters, including five minors, have been killed and hundreds injured by police and soldiers in daily protests against the 1 February coup across the country.

In addition, more than 1,500 people, including politicians, activists, journalists and monks, have been detained since the military uprising and more than 1,200 remain under arrest, including Suu Kyi, 75, who is being held isolated. 

Soldados de Myanmar caminan por una calle durante una protesta contra el golpe militar en Yangon, Myanmar (Birmania), 28 de febrero de 2021
PHOTO/REUTERS - Myanmar soldiers walk down a street during a protest against the military coup in Yangon, Myanmar, Burma, February 28, 2021
Disinformation campaign

The military junta continues with a disinformation campaign in the pro-government media, where it insists that there was electoral fraud in last November's elections, although they were validated by international observers, and that the security forces acted correctly.

According to the pro-government Global New Light of Myanmar, the authorities yesterday dug up the body of Kyal Sin, a protester who died on Wednesday, and concluded after an autopsy that she had died from a gunshot wound from a weapon other than a police or army weapon.

This contradicts the testimonies of numerous protesters who witnessed the incident, which took place during protests in the city of Mandalay.

Kyal Sin, 19, nicknamed Angel, has become one of the symbols of resistance against the military, which ruled the country with an iron fist between 1962 and 2011 before initiating a transition to a "disciplined democracy".

Aung San Suu Kyi Birmania Myanmar

The military junta has been cutting off internet access every night for weeks as part of its crackdown on the population, which has launched a civil disobedience movement against those in uniform.

Days after the military uprising, during which part of Suu Kyi's elected government was arrested, the military junta cut off access to social networks such as Facebook and Twitter to prevent citizens from organising and sharing videos, but many bypass the blockade by using VPN software.

Protesters are demanding that the military allow a return to democracy and recognise the results of last November's elections, in which the National League for Democracy, which won with a large majority in 2015, swept to victory.