PUBLICIDAD

Iberdrola

Chariot Oil & Gas completes exploration of gas well discovered in Morocco

The British company will now confirm whether the samples collected can be put to commercial use, as well as confirming the size of the well
Morocco Gas

 -  

The discovery of energy resources in Morocco is booming and many investment companies are investigating the country's subsoil. Chariot Oil & Gas, one of these firms exploiting Moroccan soils, has just announced that it has completed the investigation of the well it recently discovered offshore Larache. 

"I am pleased to announce the completion of our Anchovy gas exploration and appraisal campaign offshore Morocco. In addition to now having two confirmed gas discovery wells, we have directly de-risked a significant portfolio of prospects in the Lixus licence area," announced Chariot CEO Adonis Pouroulis after completing exploration of the site.

The UK company has now completed work on Anchovy-2, the name given to the recent discovery. This is a gas field more than 100 metres long. The field is now closed to begin investigating the dozens of gas samples and the seven tanks that have been extracted for analysis. If viable, this find can be used for commercialisation and the excavation will be reopened to see how large the deposit is and how much gas it can hold.

Gas Marruecos

Exploration of the project has been completed just one week after the discovery of the reservoir. This new well is part of the UK brand's Lixus licence, in which it already has a well discovered some time ago, Anchovy-1. The discovery is located in Larache, a coastal area in northwest Morocco.  Experts in the field who worked on the dig said it could be a very important gas discovery in the Kingdom: "Preliminary interpretation of the data confirms the presence of significant gas accumulations in the appraisal and exploration targets of the Anchovy-2 well, with an estimated net gas layer of more than 100 metres, compared to the previous year's gas layer".

Chariot Oil & Gas holds 75% of the Lixus licence to work in the area. The remaining 25% is held by the Moroccan National Office of Hydrocarbons and Mines. The company has other projects pending in Africa and has been developing work in the continent for some time now in search of energy resources. Africa proves to be a mine of important resources that is very attractive for the international market. 

Moreover, several studies have already confirmed the richness of the Moroccan subsoil and the existence of this energy material. In recent years, several sedimentary basins have been found, both on land and at sea, which could be used for subsequent commercialisation. If confirmed as viable, they would provide the Alawi kingdom with self-sufficient energy.

Gas Marruecos

Morocco is contemplating the use of natural gas as an option for the future that guarantees its own energy supply and favours the nation's progress, without depending on other external factors. Since the arrival of Aziz Akhannouch, Morocco's prime minister, and the new government, the gas industry is one of its main points for developing and carrying out interesting projects. Companies with expertise in the sector are beginning to enter the country, and the government intends to consolidate this industry as one of its main resources.

For the moment, explorations are being carried out throughout Morocco that would be economically profitable for the future. The areas where work is mainly being carried out are Essaouira, Guersif, Zag, Boudnib and Missour. Other parts of the country are already in the exploitation phase, such as the Gharb basin in Kenitra, where a large quantity of usable natural gas deposits have been discovered and connected to pipeline networks for subsequent distribution. 

Another discovery was also recently announced in the Guersif area. This new account, according to Predator Oil & Gas, claims to be promising and with a large storage capacity. Researchers are currently conducting the necessary tests and evaluations to begin exploitation.